Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tutorial Tuesday Family Issue



Good morning all. I apologize for the break in my series and missing my blog yesterday. As some of you may know, my husband, Mike, hasn't been feeling well for several weeks. As a man he balked at going to the doctor and continued on his daily and weekly routine. We both felt it was a case of a cold or bronchitis and I pushed liquids and asked him to rest and try and kick this bug.

He couldn't sleep, he had a wheeze and he coughed constantly. Mike quit smoking over 2 years ago, but colds still set in easily, so there was a good case of bronchitis. But I still begged that he go to the doctor as he wasn't kicking it.



Mike is a 12 year veteran of the Navy. His primary care giver is the VA. If you are familiar with VA, they provide terrific medical care, but are not a source for urgent care. Especially here in Florida where they are over worked. So we chose an urgent care facility in Lecanto ran by the State of Florida.

Arriving early to avoid a long wait, he walked in from the parking lot, huffing and puffing from lack of breath. The receptionist was alerted immediately of his distress and asked of short of breath. When he responded yes, she ran the "Code Blue" alert and care came running from all over the facility. They administered oxygen, checked his blood pressure, sat him in a wheel chair and ran him immediately into a room. After an thorough exam, checking his vitals, listening to his heart and lungs, he was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure. What? This was a cold! He had fluids in his lungs, around his heart, and throughout his body.



He was ordered to take a diuretic and potassium and to see his primary care provider. So he spent most of the day yesterday attempting to get an appointment with VA within the week. We are awaiting a call for an appointment, but they assure us they will call us back today.

Today, I will do some more research on CHF and determine what roll I can play to help him in his road to recovery and a long life. I know a revised diet will be the top priority and once he gets the go ahead, exercise. I know that will be the big battle. He hates to walk and hates exercise, so perhaps I may have to tie him to the bumper of the car, but I will get him out on his bike or something. He is my soul mate and I don't want to lose him.

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers and I will talk to you soon.

1 comment:

Purse Stuff said...

I am so sorry to read this news about Mike. Know you are both in my thoughts and prayers. Sending thoughts for Mike's complete recovery and restoration to health. Please keep me posted on his progress.

Please take care of yourself. It is stressful and draining when dealing with a loved one's health issues. You need to stay healthy and strong. Mike needs you more than ever right now.

Your friend,
Purse Stuff - Paula

Post a Comment

} catch(err) {}