Search This Blog

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Thrifting Thursday



Thursday is thrift day. This week I am going to share Cowboy Junction flea market in Lecanto, Fl. It is held on Tuesdays in a big open field. People begin sitting up on Monday evenings as the key to a great find is getting there early. On a good Tuesday there will be over 200 vendors selling their wares, both new and old. I like this market because most of the vendors sell rare old finds, and if you dig deep, you can find just the thing you are looking for.

The flea market was started by Buddy Max over 20 years ago and for many years was ran by he and his wife Freda. As well as the flea market, there was a regular jam session and country music show on Saturdays. Most weeks it was standing room only as a good time was to be had by all. The music is no more but he flea market lives on.

This day was a long one; many vendors up and down long dusty aisles. It takes a toll, but well worth it. I found this great assortment of items, some to sell, and others for me. The clock is for my hubby, so he can get up when on the road in the truck. This will hopefully end me setting my alarm for 4 a.m. and calling him to get him up. Well worth that investment.

The mixing bowl is from the 50's. My mother had the old stand mixer this bowl came with. It was a work horse, all the attachments including a meat grinder on the top. She mixed a lot of stuff in that bowl, but the thing I remember most was the old style cool whip. It came in powder form in a package and you added really cold milk and whipped up a topping delight. I can remember whipping up a package just to snack on.

The sewing machine tin will be used for 'my' sewing machine items. I currently use a plastic glad container, but thought this would add a charm to my basket. And who could resist the rooster cookie cutter. I will add this to more cookie cutters I have accumulated and sell them on Etsy as a collection.

Well, I hope you enjoyed the trip to Cowboy Junction Flea Market. If you are ever down this way between October and March, be sure to visit. Just a few miles west of Crystal River, Florida on Hwy 44. You will not be disappointed; if you get there early.

No comments:

Post a Comment

} catch(err) {}