Search This Blog

Monday, March 22, 2010

Monday, Monday - New Projects

Good Monday Morning. I hope that everyone had a great weekend and everything is good in your world. Mine is one of anticipation. Anticipation of all the work that I have let slide and now I must get done.

I have a wholesale order that must get done this week, photos and inventory to do for Etsy , and product to make for my show schedule. For my show schedule, I must process photos of my newest products and complete paperwork; a must to get into the good shows.

The jurying process is very time consuming for me; but, juried shows, for the most part, are the purest of shows for handmade product. There are occasions where a wooden rose or a made in China sign will get in, but the majority of the vendors are true crafters. People that have put their hearts and soul in their products and want to share their enthusiasm for their projects with you.

For those of you that do shows or those of you that are contemplating doing shows, here are a few tips I have learned along the way.

Request the paperwork well in advance of the deadline. Many times you might get it off of the internet.

Read the instructions thoroughly. Too often I get to shows and see someone that wasn't prepared and often it is because they failed to read the paperwork. Be sure to note the deadline, what is to be included with the application, and if a SASE is expected. The rules will also note any unsual needs such as long extension cords or a dolly to get your product from your parking spot to your booth.

Product pictures. I use my 35MM camera to take my photos. Sometimes I use my photo box, but many times I try and show the product in the way it is meant to be used. For example, if I am selling slate welcome signs, I will photograph it hanging on the front of the house. Also, be certain that the colors and clarity of the photo come through. The better the pictures the better chance you have of jurying in. And pick the best products you have to get into the best shows. Oh, and be certain to put your identity on the back of the photo; the same one that you are using to jury into the show.

Be Neat Imagine that the people jurying have hundreds if not thousands of applications to go through. Yours is not special to the committee in anyway so you must do something to make it stand out and be easier for the jurying committee. So be neat. Be certain to print clearly and do everything as they requested in a nice format. This will go a long way in the process.

I hope this information has helped some of you and that the ones that haven't applied to juryied shows will do so. We need some new blood, and there is a wealth of talented people out there and I would welcome their participation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

} catch(err) {}